Monday 7 September 2009

Skinnyist

The other day at work, it was a colleague's birthday, so they brought in the obligatory cakes. (Why is it that when it's your birthday, you bring in cakes - surely other people should be bringing them to you, and generally serving you and being your b*tch?)

Anyway, so there's this girl at work who's very slim, she's pretty and I like her although I don't have much to do with her. She was sort of umming and ahhing about which cake to have, and a few of the other women were making comments like "Go on, get some meat on your bones" and "You're too skinny that'll fatten you up!" etc.

She looked kind of embarrassed and uncomfortable and I felt bad for her! Even though I mock fat people behind their back I wouldn't go up to one and say "Oi fatty, lay off the pies a bit eh?" It's just rude.

So why is it acceptable to rinse someone out for being skinny? I guess it's really jealousy as not being mean, but the people making the comments could have stood to lose a few pounds, and I guess it's their way of justifying having the cake. But it kind of bugged me, it reminded me of when I was skinny and I didn't appreciate being called on it.

Even now, if someone refers to me as skinny it bugs me, even though I know I am pretty solid now and they really just mean that I'm athletic build.

Perhaps next time it's my birthday and I bring in cakes, I should have a fat and a skinny table, and direct people to them accordingly!

No comments: