Tuesday 15 September 2009

Here Comes the Bride


So I was at a wedding at the weekend, in a beautiful old town in the Midlands (yes, I was surprised too, but they do have them!) and it was a really lovely day.

The only bad point was having to get up early to travel up there, but what can you do about that, huh? The weather was gorgeous, me and the fella looked handsome in our respective suits (me navy suit, very faint fine pin-stripe, checked shirt and dark blue tie - him, 3 piece grey suit with white shirt and pink tie) and the church was nice too. The bride's dress was very non-standard and not what I'd have picked but carried it off and looked very pretty. I felt a little uncomfortable as I only knew one other person there, and not all that well at that! Also, because the wedding was in a church, it was religious and although I have some beliefs I am not religious, so bending over to pray etc felt a little weird. And the hymns, of which there were three!

The reception was good though, plenty of food and drink, then Irish dancing (I avoided it as by this point the tiredness had got to me and I didn't feel all that great). I'm glad the Travelodge was cheap because it wasn't one of the best I've stayed in (hey, all the quaint B&Bs were fully booked, don't judge!) and I can add it to the list of 'Budget Hotels I've Had Sex In' - I reckon there's a book in that - "and do you know, the pillow was so thin when I was biting it, I bit clean through" or "

Generally I like weddings but reflecting on this and my brother's earlier in the year, I definitely prefer a civil service to a church. I felt my brother's service was more personal and had more genuine sentiment behind it. Though maybe that's just because it was my brother! Next year I've got at least another 2 weddings to go to, spaced out nicely though, and with friends that I am closer to so I am looking forward to them. Bf is dropping unsubtle hints (e.g. anvils) about proposals but I'm in no rush - after all, if you know you want to be with someone, you don't need a piece of paper do you? It's written on your heart.

No comments: