Friday 6 November 2009

Remember, Remember...

And I along with hundreds of other mortals arrived in the local field at the alloted time, paid my entrance fee and took up position in good view of the soon-to-be bonfire.

I must admit that although I wasn't really bothered about seeing fireworks, once they started I quite enjoyed it. It did take far too long to get going though! Standing in a field in the cold is not high on my list of 'Exciting things to do on a Saturday night'.

So what is it about fireworks, and big fires, that draws in the crowds? I suppose I can sort of get the big fire thing - after all, most people have a strange fascination with fire, perhaps a remnant from our caveman ancestry. There is something incredibly primal and stirring about watching a huge pile of junk go up in flames, I must admit. You kind of stare at the fire and it seems like something alive, like it's whispering dark secrets in your ear, and you have all these urges to chuck stuff into it and watch it be totally consumed. Well, if it's good enough for moths...

One slight drawback was that the embers from the fire were drifting up and towards the crowd so there were chunks of ash continually dropping down - lucky none that were scorching!

The fireworks themselves were ok, not the best I've seen but reasonably varied. I don't know what the appeal of them is really, other than they are pretty. I do think that someone should come up with some more exciting ones and vary the patterns/colours a bit more, but then why spend time on something that burns away to nothing in seconds?

After the display it was time for the X Factor accompanied by hot dogs. I didn't think it was a particularly impressive show but then there's not that many singers in it this year that I like. Stacey is by far my favourite - I'll be voting for her from now on to ensure she stays safe!

No comments: