Thursday 27 August 2009

Blogs I Like

OK, just a quick run down of the blogs I read regularly and why I read them!

Joe.My.God

I've read this blog for quite a while and it's been going for several years. Written by a 40-odd guy in NY, this originally started off with stories about gay life, love, etc, some of them funny, some of them sad, but all of them real and very well told. Lately the blog has shifted to be more political/news based which is good because I use it to catch up on the latest goings on around the world in terms of gay rights etc. It also includes the odd light-hearted article too and it's very regularly updated. One of the best gay blogs on the net IMO - Joe, you rock.

Am Not Blog

Think I stumbled across this blog from a link on London Preppy (see next). This is a 30-something guy in London who is originally from South Africa and works for the BBC. Again, he writes well and has a wry sense of humour, manages to get into the odd amusing scrape from time to time, and generally comes across as a really nice guy, the sort you'd love to just hang out with chatting all afternoon. I definitely recommend this blog, again it's updated daily and he really is a sweet guy and that's nice to see, especially in London which is full of poisonous vapid queens.

London Preppy

A very popular blog, not sure how long it's been going or how I first came across it, but this guy is (I think) late 20's and London-based, and he basically writes in a very world-weary, Bret-Easton-Ellis kinda style, sort of downbeat and 'over it' which I find very amusing and post-modern and shit. It doesn't hurt that he's rather easy on the eye too. I quite like the fact that he writes sort of 'in character' so you don't know what's fact and what's fiction, it adds a bit of flavour to a blog considering a lot are just basically diaries.

Gay Banker

Is what the title suggests - blog of a gay banker. He's quite a globe-trotter and seems to always have a man (or two...or three) on the go at once. For some reason he's treated as a kind of relationship agony uncle so troubled gay guys often e-mail in asking for advice which he then posts up. I don't always agree with everything he says but he writes well and does have some useful insights.

Belle de Jour

One of the first blogs I ever read, this is the famous blog about a (now ex) prostitute that has spawned a few books and a TV series starring Billie Piper in the titular role. Obviously, when I first started reading it back when she was still 'working' it was interesting because of the situations etc she described, but she's such a good writer and I love her turn of phrase. Not updated very much these days sadly, but check out the archives for some great reading material.

Confessions of a Muscler

Another one I came across from London Preppy I think. The poor Muscler is a rather tragic character, always looking for love but never quite getting there. He comes across as a really sweet and nice guy so although I enjoy reading about his ups and downs, I hope he finds some happiness soon!

Geek Slut

I used to read this a while ago, basically a blog of a guy who despite being a big computer geek, was also a mega slut! He has a very distinctive writing style and was great to read, though his blog has been down for ages now. I hope it will reappear at some point.

1 comment:

Robert Cox said...

Love it!! Will put up a link to yer blog now... x